Welcome to the SCBWI Carolinas Conference Registration
Download Page for Conference Information Materials HERE
The 22nd Annual Conference faculty includes agents Susan Hawk (The Bent Agency), Emily Mitchell (Wernick & Pratt) and Christa Heschke (McIntosh & Otis); assistant editors Paula Sadler (Random House Children's Books); Joanna Cardenas (Penguin/Viking) and Pieta Pemberton (Grosset & Dunlap); editorial and publishing consultant Emma D. Dryden; executive art director Isabel Warren-Lynch (Random House); and illustrator Mary GrandPré; author and SCBWI Regional Advisor for eastern upstate NY, Nancy Castaldo; and International Regional Advisor Chairperson, Kathleen Ahrens, as well as a stellar lineup of the Carolinas' finest: authors Linda Ashman, Alan Gratz, Kami Kinard and Carrie Ryan, and illustrators Deb Johnson, Vanessa Brantley Newton and Bob Ostrom.
In addition, this year's conference features a panel discussion with the Carolinas Writing Mentorship inaugural class, an agent's panel, kidlit trivia night, the Saturday buffet and autograph party, plus the portfolio showcase and schmoozing opportunities galore! Add-ons include three pre-conference intensive sessions, manuscript critiques; industry consultations, and expanded illustrator reviews covering both print portfolios and websites.
INTRODUCING A PAL MASTER CLASS Whether you are writing fantasy or realism, novels or picture books, this 4.5 hour craft-based master class will identify the links between the geography of the world in the story and the geography of the inner world of the character. Explore the structure of your manuscript to see new perspectives, find out what your characters want and what your stories are really about. Presented by Emma Dryden [drydenbks.com] this series is designed for the PAL level member and is part of our regularly scheduled conference agenda. [PAL level members only will be able to access sessions D, G, J and M]
CONFERENCE TUITION [includes all conference activities; breakout sessions, from Friday September 19, 2014, 4:00 PM to Sunday September 21, 2014; Saturday lunch, Saturday night buffet, Saturday/Sunday continental breakfast.]
• SCBWI Member Rate $170.00
• Nonmember Rate $185.00
REGISTRATION CLOSES THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2014. MAIL-IN REGISTRATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY THIS DATE.
Keep up-to-date on all things TO TELL A TALE by visiting our Carolinas Blog !
INTENSIVE PROGRAMS [Hands-on, 4-hour workshops designed to provide in-depth exploration of a topic.]
• Friday, September 19, 2014 from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm, offered on a pre-conference, separate fee basis.
• Conference registration is required for participation.
• Programs with limited enrollment are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Cost: $75 for SCBWI members; $90 for non-members
MANUSCRIPT CRITIQUES/ PORTFOLIO REVIEWS/INDUSTRY CONSULTATIONS *
• All Critique/Review/Consultation sessions are held Friday September 19, 2014 between 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM.
• Manuscripts Submissions must be received by 5:00 PM Tuesday July 15, 2014 at our PO Box and may be sent via USPS, FedEx or UPS to our PO Box.
• Sign up deadline for Portfolio Reviews and Industry Consultations is August 15, 2014
• For information about the Industry Consultations with Emma Dryden, CLICK HERE!
• Cost: $50 for SCBWI members; $65 for non-members. Please see Conference Information Packet for deadlines.
*Formatting guidelines and submission requirements are available for download in the Conference Information Packet at https://carolinas.scbwi.org/totellataleconference/
FOR MORE INFORMATION about RED-EYE CRITIQUES, FIRST PAGES/FIRST IMPRESSIONS, PORTFOLIO DISPLAY, BOOKSTORE SALES, AUTOGRAPH PARTY and OUR SCHOOL BOOK BASKET OUTREACH download the…
CONFERENCE INFORMATION PACKET HERE.
MAIL-IN REGISTRATION FORMS are available for check payments only. Download the form HERE.
CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL • 5700 Westpark Drive • Charlotte, NC 28217
Special rates [expires 8/29/14} for SCBWI Members: $97/night with free WIFI • RESERVE YOUR ROOM HERE
• July 11, 2014 – Deadline for registering for a manuscript critique.
• July 15, 2014 – Deadline for submission to SCBWI Carolinas PO Box.
• August 15, 2014 – Deadline for registration for an expanded Portfolio Review
• August 15, 2014 – Deadline for submission of Red-Eye Critique to Debbie Allmand.
• September 11, 2014 – CONFERENCE REGISTRATION CLOSES.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
• Conference registration is required for all programs and acitivities.
• NO tuition or intensive fees refunded after Friday, August 1, 2014. NO critique/review/consultation fees will be refunded after the submission deadline date.
• You MUST log in as a Member at SCBWI.org to receive Member pricing. There will be NO partial refunds for failure to login to scbwi.org for SCBWI Member rates.
• Intensive programs, manuscript critiques, portfolio reviews, and industry consultations are priced separately and may have participation limits.