Featuring agents—Jennifer Mattson/Andrea Brown Agency, John Cusick/ Folio Agency and Jennifer Wills/The Seymour Agency
And editors-–Carter Hasagawa/Candlewick Press, Aubrey Poole/Jimmy Patterson Books | Hachette Book Group and Alison Weiss/Sky Pony Press
Three pre-conference intensives covering illustration with Laurent Linn, author of Draw the Line and Senior Art Director Simon & Schuster also hosting the Illustrator Café, explore Queries and Pitches with Candlewick editor Carter Hasagawa, and get a new Point of View on writing with Gary Schmidt, two-time winner of the Newbery Honor and a Prinz Honor winner.
Explore the agent/author experience with Linda Ashman and Jennifer Mattson, find out about nonfiction biography with Caroline McAlister, discover a story's internal logic with Stephen Messer, learn how Hollywood can improve your writing with Jocelyn Rish, improve using online tools with Carol Baldwin, time travel with Stacy McAnulty, and write so editors and agents can't say no with Camille Andros. Additionally, our SCBWI Mentors will join with faculty in providing manuscript critiques.
WE ASK YOU CLICK THROUGH AND READ ALL THE CONFERENCE INFORMATION PRIOR TO YOUR REGISTRATION.
Access all the information, click on links.
2017 CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
MEET THE 2017 FACULTY
TIPS & TIDBITS FAQs
THE INSIDE TRACK
JUST FOR ILLUSTRATORS
JUST FOR WRITERS
SCHOLARSHIP DOOR PRIZE
BOOK CROWNE PLAZA
||REGISTER FOR CONFERENCE HERE|
- We now invite PAL and Full Members who register to submit books to the conference bookstore
- Visit Published Books and Your Conference Bookstore for more information
The conference rate includes conference breakouts, general sessions, after-hours activities, Saturday lunch, buffet dinner Saturday night, and continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday.
Want more information on TUITION COSTS?
YOUR REGISTRATION FEES WILL APPEAR UNDER SOCIETYCHIL ON YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENT.
You MUST be registered for the conference to attend any of the conference activities or to register for intensive programs or consultations.
Friday, August 25; 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- **Hands-on workshops designed to provide in-depth exploration of a topic, offered as a pre-conference add-on.
- **Conference registration is required.
- **Intensive programs are offered on a first come, first served basis.
- **COST: SCBWI Member $80.00 Nonmember $100.00
Friday, August 25; 2:00 to 5:00 pm
- **Limit two critique submissions and one review request.
- **Registration and Submission Deadlines
- **Formatting questions? How to submit?
- **For first-timers:
- **See the articles on What Happens in Critique…. What Happens in a Review…. at Tips, Tidbits and the Inside Scoop.
- **COST: SCBWI Member $50.00 Nonmember $65.00
Saturday, August 26; 6:00 to 7:30 pm
Illustrators are encouraged to bring a portfolio to be displayed during the Saturday evening social.
See page 23 for guidelines and tips on compiling a portfolio. For first-timers see Tips, Tidbits and the Inside Scoop. Contact Deb Johnson at carolInasemail@example.com with questions. NO FEE to participate.
RED EYE CRITIQUES
Friday, August 25 OR Saturday, August 26; 10:00 pm until . . .
- **Small peer group critiques. Participants will exchange manuscript pages prior to conference.
- **Want to know more about Red Eye Critiques? Contact Debbie Allmand at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO FEE to participate.
FIRST PAGES/FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Saturday, August 26; 3:30 to 5:00 pm
- Writers: Submit first pages at registration desk by 8:30 am Saturday. Formatting and submission guidelines
- Illustrators: Submit a digital image to Bonnie Adamson at email@example.com by Friday, August 11, 2017. NO FEE to participate. Formatting and submission guidelines
Books by conference faculty and SCBWI PAL and Full authors and illustrators attending the conference are offered for sale at the conference bookstore. See the article Get to Know Your Faculty. Contact Conference Bookstore at with title and ISBN by Friday July 7, 2017, to be included in the conference bookstore.
Saturday, August 26; 7:00 to 8:00 pm
Conference faculty as well as SCBWI PAL & Full members attending the conference will be available to sign books.
Saturday, August 26; 8:00 to 9:00 pm
SCBWI PAL authors and illustrators attending the conference share insights in an informal Q&A session.
Sunday, August 27; 9:15 AM to 10:15 AM
An informal gathering to assimilate new ideas, and share experiences and observations from the weekend’s activities. Simon & Schuster Senior Art Director Laurent Linn will be on hand to answer questions and to critique First Impressions images not viewed on Saturday. Mr. Linn will not be able to offer individual portfolio reviews or critiques of additional work during this session.
Bring a children’s book [new or gently used] to donate to an area reading program. Donations are received at the registration table until 12:00 pm Saturday, August 26, 2017.