Access all the information, click on links.
2016 CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
MEET THE 2016 FACULTY
TIPS & TIDBITS FAQs
THE INSIDE TRACK
JUST FOR ILLUSTRATORS
JUST FOR WRITERS
SCHOLARSHIP DOOR PRIZE
BOOK CROWNE PLAZA
||REGISTER FOR CONFERENCE HERE|
Mark your calendars now for a celebration of The Power of Story–our biggest conference yet!
Featuring four agents–Josh and Tracey/Adams Literary, Stephen Fraser/Jennifer deChiara Agency, Deborah Warren/East West Agency
four editors--Jill Davis/HarperCollins Publishers, Stacey Friedberg/Dial Books, Alyson Heller/Simon & Schuster and Annie Nybo/Margaret K. McElderry Books,
four pre-conference intensives covering world building with Henry H. Neff, author of The Tapestry Series, develop the perfect pitch with Literary Agent Stephen Fraser, From Idea to Published Novel with NY Times bestselling author Beth Revis, and an illustration intensive with uber executive art director and founder of The Illustration Department, Giuseppe Castellano also hosting the Illustrator Cafè on Sunday morning.
Former HMH editor now indie bookstore buyer, Amy Cherrix will join our considerably talented Carolinas PAL members; Golden Kite Winner Kristy Dempsey, John Claude Bemis, Megan Shepherd, Alan Gratz, Joan Holub, Constance Lombardo, Barbara O'Conner. Additionally, our SCBWI Mentors will join with faculty in providing manuscript critiques.
WE ASK YOU CLICK THROUGH AND READ ALL THE CONFERENCE INFORMATION PRIOR TO YOUR REGISTRATION.
REGISTRATION OPENS MAY 3 AT 1:00 PM
JUST BREAKING…NEW SCBWI POLICY ON CONFERENCE BOOKSTORE
- We now invite PAL and Full Members who register to submit books to the conference bookstore
- Visit Published Books and Your Conference Bookstore for more information
The conference rate includes conference breakouts, general sessions, after-hours activities, Saturday lunch, buffet dinner Saturday night, and continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday.
Want more information on TUITION COSTS?
You MUST be registered for the conference to attend any of the conference activities or to register for intensive programs or consultations.
Friday, September 30, 2016; 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- **Hands-on workshops designed to provide in-depth exploration of a topic, offered as a pre-conference add-on.
- **Conference registration is required.
- **Intensive programs are offered on a first come, first served basis.
- **COST: SCBWI Member $80.00 Nonmember $100.00
Friday, September 30, 2016; 2:00 to 5:00 pm
- **Limit two critique submissions and one review request.
- **Registration and Submission Deadlines
- **Formatting questions? How to submit?
- **For first-timers:
- **See the articles on What Happens in Critique…. What Happens in a Review…. at Tips, Tidbits and the Inside Scoop.
- **COST: SCBWI Member $50.00 Nonmember $65.00
Saturday, OCTOBER 1, 2016; 6:00 to 7:30 pm
Illustrators are encouraged to bring a portfolio to be displayed during the Saturday evening social.
See page 23 for guidelines and tips on compiling a portfolio. For first-timers see Tips, Tidbits and the Inside Scoop. Contact Deb Johnson at carolInasfirstname.lastname@example.org with questions. NO FEE to participate.
RED EYE CRITIQUES
Friday, September 30 OR Saturday, October 1, 2016 10:00 pm until . . .
- **Small peer group critiques. Participants will exchange manuscript pages prior to conference.
- **Want to know more about Red Eye Critiques? Contact Debbie Allmand at email@example.com. NO FEE to participate.
FIRST PAGES/FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Saturday, October 1, 2016; 3:30 to 5:00 pm
- Writers: Submit first pages at registration desk by 8:30 am Saturday. Formatting and submission guidelines
- Illustrators: Submit a digital image to Bonnie Adamson at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 11, 2016. NO FEE to participate. Formatting and submission guidelines
Books by conference faculty and SCBWI PAL and Full authors and illustrators attending the conference are offered for sale at the conference bookstore. See the article Get to Know Your Faculty. Contact Jenny Murray at with title and ISBN by Monday August 15, to be included in the conference bookstore.
Saturday, October 1, 2016; 7:00 to 8:00 pm
Conference faculty as well as SCBWI PAL & Full members attending the conference will be available to sign books.
Saturday, October 1, 2016; 8:00 to 9:00 pm
SCBWI PAL authors and illustrators attending the conference share insights in an informal Q&A session.
Sunday, September 27; 9:15 AM to 10:15 AM
An informal gathering to assimilate new ideas, and share experiences and observations from the weekend’s activities. Executive Art Director Giuseppe Castellano and editor Annie Nybo will be on hand to answer questions and to critique First Impressions images not viewed on Saturday. Mr. Castellano will not be able to offer individual portfolio reviews or critiques of additional work during this session.
Bring a children’s book [new or gently used] to donate to an area reading program. Donations are received at the registration table until 12:00 pm Saturday, October 1, 2016 .